Thanks to some sleuthing by the Lake Sawyer Community Club, we are able to gain some insight into the lake's outlet weir history. As might be expected, a natural barrier likely established by beavers and/or accumulated natural debris served to regulate lake water levels for years and years. The location - about the same as it is today where Lake Sawyer drains into Covington Creek. Following is an aerial view taken in 1936 showing the lake outlet as it goes through a culvert under Lake Sawyer Road.
In the 1940's, however, a real estate developer by the name of Vern Cole Realty sought to lower the level of the lake with the goal of drying out the area of the lake now known as the Boot and creating more buildable lots. To accomplish this goal, Vern Cole Realty proceeded to remove this natural barrier and lake levels went down creating lots of dry beach front. Other lake residents were not pleased and a lawsuit was filed in about 1950 by Mary Burnett. As a result, Vern Cole Realty was required by the courts to reestablish lake levels by building a new man made outlet weir to replace the natural one earlier destroyed. The end result, this is what we see today.
It's the same path as provided by the natural outlet though it does appear that some dredging may have occurred to enhance lake access for residents located along the outlet.